Hanging curtains can transform the look of your luxury home. Window treatments are a simple way to elevate a space, draw the eye and even make your room look larger. To get the most out of your curtains, it’s important to know the proper way to choose, measure, hang and maintain them. Variables like room height and the use of the space, among others, can throw a wrench in anyone’s plans. We’ve assembled this comprehensive guide to help you hang curtains like a pro!
- Think about the style and image you’d like to convey with your curtains. Are you trying to add formality to a dining room or living room? Consider functionality as well. If you are installing drapes in a baby’s nursery, you may be interested in blackout curtains that create a dark atmosphere for naps.
- Once you’ve worked out the details, you can focus on choosing the fabric of your curtains. With a number to choose from, it’s important to match the style and functionality you’re going for. High-quality materials such as sumptuous silk, rich velvet, or intricate brocade might work well in a more formal space, or a naturally darker space like a media room. In contrast, a playroom or kitchen might benefit from breezy, light fabrics like linen that let in a lot of light.
- When selecting color, choose curtains that complement or harmonize with your existing decor. Neutral tones never go out of style. Alternatively, you might consider bold jewel tones, or patterns like geometric designs or oversized florals to make a statement against your current decor.
Measurements and preparation for curtains
- Before you begin preparing, choose the length and fullness that you’re looking to achieve. You can create a lavish aesthetic by hanging curtains higher than the window frame, elongating the room’s visual height. For a modern look, opt for curtains that hover just above the floor. Remember to account for the desired fullness, allowing for beautiful folds when closed.
- To achieve a flawless curtain installation, meticulous measurements and proper preparation are crucial. Start by measuring the width of your window. You can add extra inches to each side to extend the curtain rod for a luxurious appearance. For height, consider the desired length from the rod to the point where you want the curtains to fall – whether it’s just above the floor, grazing it, or puddling.
- Next, invest in a sturdy curtain rod that complements the overall style of your home.
Hanging curtains with precision
- Now that you’ve chosen the perfect curtains and prepared the space, it’s time to hang them. Depending on your chosen style, attach curtain hooks or rings to the top edge of the curtains. This ensures even and smooth hanging. Opt for hooks or rings that match your room’s design for more visual appeal.
- To maintain balance and symmetry, ensure the hooks or rings are evenly spaced along the top edge of the curtains.
- Installing brackets to mount your curtains is perhaps the most important step. You’ll need some basic carpentry skills and tools. It’s important to consider if you are going to mount the curtains via a stud in the wall, or using drywall anchors and screws. Ensure it is level and securely anchored to the wall. If you have large windows, consider using a center support bracket for added stability.
- Hang the curtains onto the curtain rod and adjust the length and fullness as desired. Stand back and assess the appearance, making any necessary adjustments to ensure the curtains hang perfectly straight.
Hanging curtains is an art that requires attention to detail, precision, and a keen eye for design. By choosing the perfect curtains for your home, and measuring and hanging precisely, you can transform the look of any room. Get ready to elevate your living areas with luxurious curtains that captivate and inspire.
A certified Master Builder, Clarity Homes believes everyone should have access to the life they want – without being in over their heads with debt. The luxury homes we design and build offer a better way – life simplified. If you’re interested in our available homes or have a question for us, contact us today.